Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Glass Houses, Stretchy Pants and Fancy Drapes

I don't know about you, but after watching President Obama’s recent address,  I was left with more questions than answers.  I can’t decide if Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi a.) just didn’t care about what they were wearing or b.) made a conscious effort to wear the most horrid colors imaginable?

I mean, Joe, god love him, is a man of action (and I of all people should know, as we both represent the 302). Couldn’t he have just scanned down the Congressional Phone Chain and dialed Nancy’s digits to coordinate? Or at least have an aide relay the message that the Vice President will wear a dark blue suit with a solid, electric blue tie from the Donald J. Trump Signature Collection?

In all fairness, Nancy could have hooked a brother up and just sent a quick text, “Am rockin’ puce green Mrs. Roper muumuu. Don’t do blue. I’ll B watching U.” Instead, I was forced to focus on a background consisting of Biden’s bright assed tie and Pelosi’s ugly assed dress.

I'm not sure if it was this cavalcade of Congressional color, the fact that we had "breakfast for dinner" again for the upteenth time, or my inexplicable decision to sit with the kids earlier in the day to watch Nacho Libre, but I just couldn't focus on Obama's speech.  It wasn’t until later when I heard the following sound byte on the news - “This time, CEOs won’t be able to use taxpayer money to pad their paychecks or buy fancy drapes….Those days are over” that I was able to fully digest the hidden message. It was as if a light bulb had gone on, almost as bright as Biden’s tie and I realized the importance of the fancy drapes!

Just as Jack Black's character in Nacho Libre needed a mask and stretchy pants to hide his true identity, CEOs - especially the ones living in glass houses - need fancy drapes to hide their lavish lifestyles…and to shield their eyes from disappointed shareholders, laid-off employees and the angry middle class.  In a strange way, I feel sorry for the CEOs....with the good old days over, it is looking like it has to be Blinds To Go or other some other alternative window treatments now....and that plain sucks.  But I digress...

What is even more ironic is that Ms. Pelosi’s dress looked as if it could’ve been made from fancy drapes - probably left over from the Bush Sr. administration – because the last time I checked, there were lots of fancy drapes in the Capital and in the White House....

No comments: